3/05/2010

A break from life

Today, life took over: I had a thousand things to do, I was in pain from working out yesterday, it was cold... and by the time I saw my watch, I was already late for swimming. Going seemed pointless. Yet, I picked up my husband and we jumped in the pool.

And that's when life stopped. Or maybe, that's when it began. There was nothing other than pulling, breathing, kicking, and huffing and puffing underwater. Nothing else for 45 minutes but me.

In the lockers, one of the girls shared that she had lost over 30 pounds dieting and exercising, and she told me her goal was to look like me. I was flattered, yes, but also embarrassed, because she didn't know yesterday I flaked and today I almost didn't make it either. I felt that I almost betrayed the water, the team and myself.

My lessons today:
1. A short swim is better than no swim. When you don't want to do something, do it at least a little.
2. Even if you are not trying, things happen. Whether it's building nice shoulders, achieving better conditioning or just receiving a compliment, they will happen as a reaction to what you do.
3. There is always someone watching and you can be someone's hero without knowing. That's why you should strive to give your best. And even if no one is watching, there could always be a mirror around...

3 comments:

  1. You are even inspirational to the not-active swimmers. The funny thing about life lessons is they come in many trappings.

    Your wonderful observations that you took as lessons today are something I ahve been noticing for the last few weeks myself and it is fantatstic to read someone elses learned blessings!

    Thank you so much and keep stroking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Ryan! Those are really nice words. At times, I think I'm only rambling to myself, but as I write this, I realize all together n this journey. Being a science fiction fan myself as well, I dream about a world where we are all connected, mentally and energetically; and when one grows, we all grow with them. So keep on your adventures, and thanks for letting me grow with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most welcome! I find I am often rambling to myself! Buy I figure if I never say anything then no one will ever hear. I look forward to the journey!

    I dream of a world with wide open spaces with endless horizons and countless discoveries.

    ReplyDelete