4/20/2010

Pool infection!!!

Today, my husband joined me in the pool. He barely recovered from his two-week cold today (we've been passing the germs to each other), so he was tired and I saw him resting by the wall a few times. But then, I noticed a very interesting phenomenon.

After recovering from my own illness, I feel heavy and out of shape in the water, but I keep kicking and stroking saying its temporary. However, watching my husband rest at the wall today gave me an excuse to quit and take a break myself.

Excuses are contagious, but so is motivation. When I am swimming out with a very motivated group, I feel I want to keep going, even if my limbs are telling me they can't. This "infectious effect" is very palpable in any workout. But it is so easy to miss in other environments. Like friendship, like relationships, like a job.

Now that I'm transitioning careers, I realize how important it is to find a company with a great team, smart, motivated people that will keep me challenged and push my skills so I can be my best. I'm looking for the right kind of infection. And I know I'll catch it soon!

2 comments:

  1. Keep at it! It's tough and I have gone back to running until I can schedule some private swim lessons to gain more confidence. Be proud because you can swim more than 25 yds before needing to rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is fantastic that both of you were swimming after an extended ill. I have found that sometimes when you really need to be motivated by your partner, and they can't, you have to motivate them. Sometimes that is how they can get us going. Helping ourselves by helping them.

    Hoping that made sense...

    ReplyDelete