4/13/2010

Just had to try

A couple of weeks ago, I got a bad cold that kept me away from the pool -and the blog- for a while. Finally, last Friday, I jumped into the pool and had the hardest workout I've had in a long time. I was heavy, slow, out of energy, and when I was about to quit and leave the pool early, the coach said something that made me think he was reading my mind: "it doesn't have to be pretty, all you have to do is try."

I looked around me and I realized that even though I had not been in the pool for almost two weeks, I had not gone back to the last lane. I didn't put my absence as an excuse for going back to the beginners. I was the last one in my lane, and yes, it was not pretty, but I still finished all my workout. If I hadn't, I would have only cheated myself.

I realized that I'm the same way at work. Projects have to be ready on time, no excuses. And although sometimes something has to give, I try as hard as I can to finish what I started. In my case, the blog had to give, and I'm sorry I didn't try to write about anything else.  But I learned something else: even though this is a blog about life lessons through swimming, I shouldn't always need water to reflect and learn. I guess I cheated myself there.

No comments:

Post a Comment