4/30/2010

Click

I'm a visual person, I know that. Some people need long explanations to understand complicated issues, but not me; I need an image. However, this week, a few words made me understand not only about swimming, but also unearthed something I had forgotten about myself.

In my previous post, I talked about going back to basics. In his blog, John described swimming as "pulling the body past the hand" while I had always visualized the hand moving behind the body. Suddenly at the pool, I remembered his tip and the body just understood and rotated itself perfectly. A little shift in my perception made it click in my brain. Even the coach congratulated me on my stroke!

I remembered how many years ago, I also struggled with learning how to roller blade. I tried and tried, and while all my cousins and friends were rolling around, having fun, I sitting by the sidewalk next to my ignorance. My uncle took me aside and said, "it's like walking in wheels," and all of a sudden, his words clicked on my brain. I started to roller blade as if I had done it all my life!

This little deja vu reminded me that there are many ways to learn.  We know that different people has different styles of learning, but we forget that even for us, that click can happen when we least expect it; we just have to be open to it!

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

No comments:

Post a Comment