2/11/2010

No one to blame but myself

Today at swam at night with swimmers I hadn’t met before. It was a fast and very rewarding swim (with fins, this time). But in the last 100 yards, the coach wanted us to time ourselves giving 100%. I have been postponing timing myself because I really don't want to know yet. But today, I took the challenge! I told the lady behind me to go ahead of me so I could be free to go at my own speed, but she insisted she was slower. I went first and before reaching the other wall, she started bumping me with her head. I had to stop and let her pass, ruining my timing… and my swim.
After the swim, talking with my husband, I discovered why I was so mad: When working out, as well as in life, we should not allow others to ruin our plans. We know our limitations, we know our goals, so we give them the chance to go first, to get out of our way. But if they pass, then their rights have been revoked. Many times we have a coworker, a boyfriend, a sibling who maybe with good intentions want us to stray away from our plan. Ultimately, we have the power to decide if we give in and live with the guilt, or to put our foot down and assert our rights.
Lady, you made me mad today, but you taught me a lesson. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Arkelanor! I was about to start a swim blog when I came across yours. I just learned to swim in January for the same reasons as you - to strengthen and relax my back. I work all day at a computer and struggle with lower back pain.

    I'd love to hear more about your beginnings especially if you started without a competitive swim background.

    I do not swim well enough to where I don't have to rest after 25 yards. The local adult swim group requires you be able to swim 100s before joining.

    Please keep posting and include ideas for beginners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wem! Welcome to my humble puddle! Like you, I'm almost stuck to a desk most of the day, so swimming has definitely helped.

    My background is not competitive, in the pool or anything else. I was your typical unathlete, unsporty, bookworm type! But keep checking in! I'm writing about my "beginnings" in the water next! Also, check some of the links I've posted on the right column. They helped me and maybe they'll help you!

    One advice I give to you (and please, I'm no coach!), if you can't swim 100 yards, get some fins and work on building your endurance. Form comes later and with good form, speed magically develops! When I first started, I couldn't finish an entire workout and I took many breaks.

    Many masters program accept students with less than basic swimming skills and help you improve as you go. They have 101 classes where they will teach you basic stroke principles, lane etiquette and how to read the clock. Check here for a good masters program in your town: http://www.usms.org/placswim/

    And lastly, don't be afraid. Even if you are the slowest one in the pool, you will be faster and better than the day before.

    ReplyDelete