2/25/2010

A new R&R

The last two days of swimming were some of the strongest workouts I have ever had in the water.

Two nights ago, I did the whole workout with no fins and no paddles in an 82 degree pool. It was as energy draining as it rewarding. I worked on my kicks and my stroke and finally, I was fast on my own! The coach asked me to go to the faster lane and even there, my lane mates praised how strong my stroke was. I was so proud of myself! But so tired, that I got home and went straight to bed (no blogging).

Yesterday, I stayed in the lane the coach had suggested earlier. I started swimming with no fins, but I was too slow for the other swimmers. I put on my paddles, but I was still too slow. I put on my fins, and even with them, I was struggling not to fall behind such fast swimmers. I gave all I had in me to keep up, and after one hour, I was pooped! No energy for blogging that night either.

This morning, after two days of giving 100%, I slept, and slept, and rested. I ate a chocolate croissant for breakfast, I didn't go to swim and I had a glass of wine with popcorn and croutons for dinner. Feeling guilty only lasted a second. It wasn't the best diet for an athlete, but it was what my body wanted so it was definitely a reward for a job well done.

When we are on a roll, we forget to take the time to thank our bodies and our spirits for doing a hard work. Everybody needs some R&R. Rest and Relaxation might make active souls like me feel guilty, but athletes call it Rest and Recovery for a reason. I call it Rest and Reward!

No comments:

Post a Comment